young at heart…
In the first place we would like to convert the building into an art gallery, café and art workshop space: a community-orientated art hub, for use by old and young alike.
We would like to bring the community together in the involvement of the refurbishment of the building and in the eventual use and running of it.
In bringing new life into this building we are also hoping to bring this historic part of the town, originally called ‘The City’ into the limelight.
Here are just a couple of the many ideas of what it could become:
- a private art gallery which will also offer the opportunity to the local schools to project manage exhibitions…
- a café where you can enjoy a lovely cup of coffee by a cosy fire
- meeting space for a book, sewing, knitting or crafts clubs
- a workshop space for painting, pottery, printing,….and many other classes
- a hall for evening lectures, used by local societies
We would love to hear your vision and ideas!
The former Wesleyan Chapel and the adjoining Sunday school can be found in Hampton Road, off Argyle Road and Derby Road in Newbury.
This area is called ‘The City’, it has several groups of historic Almshouses, the oldest believed to be dating back to the 16th century. Although this area is one of the most beautiful parts of town, it is still relatively unknown.
So, the name speaks for itself really, through bringing ‘Art’ into ‘The City’, we would like to bring the community together.
Hello and happy New Year!
We are 4 local residents who have recently purchased the wonderful little chapel above and the adjoining former Sunday school.
We wanted to share with you our vision, for its future in this blog…