City Arts is a self-funded, community arts hub in the heart of Newbury, West Berkshire.
The centre was created four years ago, by Claire Struthers-Semple and Isabel Carmona, with the aim of providing a friendly, welcoming place to learn, share, teach, collaborate and exhibit.
City Arts Newbury received charity status in June 2019 with Registered Charity Number: 1183770.
At present, we’re open throughout March to December, whenever a workshop, event or course is running.
Alongside our courses, we organise art exhibitions with local, individual artists and groups of artists.
We are proud of our involvement in the community and run seasonal community events, such as Chalkfest in August, where we take over the Market Square in Newbury and enjoy chalking together; a competition of the chalk drawings is judged by a local artist with prizes for the various age groups.
Part of our commitment to the community, is our ethos regarding equality and inclusion – this is reflected in the work City Arts is involved in, and why our fundraising is so important:
- We support vulnerable youths in the community, by providing community work for them
- We run £1 & Free Events: Chalkfest, Applefest, Mandala Day, Graffiti Mural Competition & Wall Hanging Day
- We provide a space for local artists, craftspeople and students to exhibit their work
- We work with people encouraging communication through art and creativity
- We work with and support local, independent small businesses