City Arts is an independent community art hub in the heart of Newbury, West Berkshire.
It was created in 2015 by Claire Struthers-Semple and Isabel Carmona with the aim of providing a friendly and welcoming place to learn, share, teach, collaborate and exhibit art.
We’re open March to December whenever a workshop or event is running.
We are proud of our involvement in the community and run seasonal free and low cost events. Our flagship Chalkfest event takes place every August – we take over the Market Square in Newbury and enjoy brightening up the pavement! A competition of the chalk drawings is judged by a local artist with prizes for different age groups.
With our commitment to the community, we have a strong ethos of equality and inclusion. This is reflected in the work we are involved in and why our fundraising is so important:
- We support vulnerable youths in the community by providing community work for them
- We run low cost and free events like Chalkfest, Applefest, Mandala Day, Graffiti Mural Competition and Wall Hanging Day
- We provide a space for local artists, craftspeople and students to exhibit their work
- We work with people encouraging communication through art and creativity
- We work with and support local independent small businesses