Thursday 5 November 2020 , 10am to 4pm. £45
This workshop is for adults.
Using simplification, mark-making and a loose impressionistic approach we will learn how to tackle a busy subject and make it manageable!
We will create a collaged ground using text, tissue and patterned papers as the starting point for our image. We will then work over this with layers of acrylic paint – spattering, dripping, and scraping to create a loose impression of a harbour scene, adding more collage elements as we need them.
Further layers of paint, simple ways to depict boats and adding detail and linework with pen, ink and pastel make the whole image come alive.
A fun mixed media approach suitable for beginners and anyone wanting to work in a free and forgiving way….if you don’t like a bit just cover it up with more collage!
About the tutor
Find tutor information for Karen Carter here
Other costs and Materials to bring
Due to CoVid 19 we are unable to share materials so please bring the following:
- Heavy watercolour paper (approx. 350gsm) or mountboard / back of sketchpad (painted white if you’re using this) or MDF (painted white).
- Lightweight patterned & plain papers for collage – whatever you have.
- Drawing pencil; Waterproof fineliner pen in a dark colour or dark acrylic ink and a dip pen or fine brush.
- A waterproof white pen or ink would be useful but not essential (Posca pens are great)
- Oil pastels / wax crayons – whatever you have (don’t buy specially)
- Acrylic matt medium (the gel sort, not the fluid medium– Winsor & Newton, Pebeo & Liquitex all make one)
- Acrylic paints – whatever you have – if buying specially just buy primary colours and white
- Mixing palette, brushes (whatever you have), kitchen sponge, small offcuts off cardboard / old credit card / small roller if you have one (not essential)
- Kitchen roll, water pot, Scissors & craft knife,
- Inspiration / source material / sketches of marine landscapes (the tutor will also bring some images as starting points)
- Found objects for printing such as bubble wrap, ribbed card, anything with an interesting texture or pattern (wallpaper, food packaging etc).
Please bring your own mug for these sessions. There will be hot water for drinks to have during the session.
Please remember also to bring your own packed lunch.
Participant numbers and social distancing
Workshop participant numbers will be capped at 6 people to retain small group numbers.
Please note that we will be observing social distancing whilst trying to make this as normal a workshop as possible. Bring your own face mask. Do not attend if you, or members of your household, feel unwell or have CoVid-like symptoms. In any case we will be following the government guidance for our activities outdoors and if the guidance changes, we’ll be bound to observe it as necessary.
Please note that a ticketing fee of £2 is included in the price of this workshop and this is not refundable in any circumstance.
If you are unable to attend the workshop and you cancel your attendance more than two weeks prior to the workshop, the ticketing fee above will be retained. If you cancel less than two weeks before the workshop no fees are refundable.
In the event of City Arts having to cancel the workshop due to participants’ numbers falling below the minimum requirement or government advice changes, we will refund the whole workshop amount minus the ticketing fee above.